Effective 11/1/22, MassDEP expanded its list of waste disposal bans to include Mattresses and Textiles. Both bans are considered integral to the main goal of the Solid Waste Master Plan, which is to reduce landfilled tons within the state 30% by 2030 and 90% by 2050.
MassDEP has also lowered the ban threshold for disposal of Commercial Organic Material from businesses and institutions.
- Do not dispose of Mattresses or Box Springs in your trash container as WM will not be able to service you. You will be asked to remove these items from your container so that we can come back and service your trash, which will result in an extra trip charge.
- Donate mattresses that are in good condition
- Take advantage of retailer haul-away
- Find out if your city or town has a collection program
- Do not dispose of Clothing and Textiles in your trash container. Donate, recycle or repurpose.
- Commercial Organic Material is defined as Food and Vegetative Material. Businesses and institutions that generate more than 1/2 ton (1,000 pounds) of these wastes per week must divert the materials for recycling or composting. To discuss options for diverting food waste to a more sustainable solution, contact your WM Sales Rep or Customer Service.
Learn more about these new waste bans and your options for recycling here.
Thank you in advance for adhering to the new MassDEP waste bans. These bans help to increase recycling and support the recycling economy. By reducing the disposal of banned materials, we also capture valuable resources, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, save energy, and reduce our need for landfills and incinerators. Should you have any questions regarding your service, please feel free to call us at 1-800-972-4545.