Waste Management would like to thank you for allowing us to service you. Along with being good stewards of the environment, our core value is the safety and protection of our customers, employees and the general public.
To live up to these expectations, we train our drivers and managers on various safety techniques and occasionally make the decision to refrain from servicing some areas due to inclement weather. The potential for injury and accidents is greater during these times, so we must not travel in certain areas.
We understand that weather events are an inconvenience, but thank you in advance for your understanding. To help our customers better understand our commitment to safety, we have included a brief list of winter weather facts and tips on how you can help us service you better during winter months.
Holidays may affect regular pickup schedules. If your service day falls on or after a Waste Management observed holiday, your service may experience a delay. We update service delays due to holidays and inclement weather on your account page on www.wm.com . (If you haven’t already, go online and register for a Waste Management account today.)
• New Year’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day
Inclement Weather – Be aware of factors
Common factors that may lead a driver to be unable to service your location during inclement weather:
• Unable to access trash/recycle container due to being plowed in
• Snow/Ice too deep to push trash/recycle container to truck
• Steep hill or winding road that may be difficult to navigate during snowy or icy conditions
• Poor visibility due to snow/high winds
• No place to turn around due to areas not being plowed
• Your trash/recycle container may have been covered or buried in snow and not visible to the driver
• Your trash/recycle container may have been placed on or behind a snow mound and may have been inaccessible to the driver/helper
• In the event of a State of Emergency being issued
There are several things listed below that you can do to help us service you better during inclement weather:
• Please check www.wm.com for weather-related delays.
• Allow extra time for our drivers to arrive at your location before contacting our office.
• Please have the area in front of and around your container salted and clear of snow and ice.
• Please remember that if your container is in a gated enclosure, you will need to ensure clearance when the gates are fully opened. We have found that a quick conversation with your plowing contractor at the beginning of the season eliminates many of the issues that might prevent us from accessing your containers.
• Our standard roll-off truck will need a safe clearance of at least 45’ in front of the container/compactor to be able to service the equipment.
• Please understand that our vehicles are different than yours and don’t handle the same in snow or icy conditions. Our drivers make everyone’s safety their number 1 priority, so sometimes they must decide not to service a particular road to protect everyone from potential injury or property damage.
We’re here for you
We are always available to assist you with any comments, concerns or inquiries you may have regarding your service. Please feel free to contact our customer service department at 800 972 4545.